RE: <NOBR> - Returning to the question....

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Ian Hickson wrote:

> If you have *blocks* of text in which the newlines are important, then it
> is preformatted text, and the <pre> element is relevant.

Maybe, but <pre> has _four_ components in its meaning:
- preserve newlines
- do not wrap
- preserve spaces
- use monospace font.

> > 	(defun foo (x, y)
> > 	   (+ x y))
> >
> > is much better than
> >
> > 	(defun foo (x, y) (+ x y))
>
> But the latter is better than
>
>        (defun foo (x,
>   y) (+x y))
>
> ...which is more likely if an inline containing the above wraps.

Yes - but _this_ is a presentational issue. The meaning of the code is not
changed if it is wrapped. My point has been that there are cases where
things are not just presentational. When dealing with spaces only, it's
just extra comfort to be able to use <nobr>...</nobr> and not lots of
no-break spaces. With _other_ characters, it's a different story. Consider
a language where an identifier can begin with "?" and an identifier must
not be broken into two lines.