RE: [Fwd: Re: Why bother using DTDs?]

From: Orion Adrian <oadrian@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:37:14 -0400
To: ashmodai@mushroom-cloud.com, www-html@w3.org

>>If namespaces should not change with the version, then why not provide
>>some other means to show the version but Doctype headers?
>>DTDs are out of date and if Namespaces can't replace them, then we need
>>something that can. If Namespaces can, then we need a way to let them.
>Ask the Schema group. :-)

This is an XML issue, not a Schema issue. The original authors of XML
decided that XML needed a way to specify type information in the document
itself. DOCTYPEs being unaware of namspaces will eventually go away. However
that leaves us with two things: Namespaces that don't specify syntax, just
semantics and no existing way to specify schema information that is
namespace aware that isn't XML Schema.

Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Multiple plans available.