RE: [Fwd: Re: Why bother using DTDs?]

From: Orion Adrian <oadrian@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:37:14 -0400
To: ashmodai@mushroom-cloud.com, www-html@w3.org

>>If namespaces should not change with the version, then why not provide
>>some other means to show the version but Doctype headers?
>>DTDs are out of date and if Namespaces can't replace them, then we need
>>something that can. If Namespaces can, then we need a way to let them.
>
>Ask the Schema group. :-)

This is an XML issue, not a Schema issue. The original authors of XML
decided that XML needed a way to specify type information in the document
itself. DOCTYPEs being unaware of namspaces will eventually go away. However
that leaves us with two things: Namespaces that don't specify syntax, just
semantics and no existing way to specify schema information that is
namespace aware that isn't XML Schema.