RE: <NOBR> - Returning to the question....

From: Jewett, Jim J <jim.jewett@eds.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 18:52:35 -0400
To: "'olafBuddenhagen@web.de'" <olafBuddenhagen@web.de>, www-html@w3.org

Olaf Buddenhagen:

> I'm still in search of any example for either:
> - A situation where something inside <code> (even in my broad defnition)
>   is definitely desirable to have normal line breaking rules appiled, or

The only time it is ever desirable -- even for normal text -- is when
treating the input as preformatted causes awkward line lengths.  For
some types of code, awkward lengths are an acceptable tradeoff.

In other computer languages (such as Lisp), the line break isn't very
meaningful, and I would like it rebroken if I'm reading on a narrow
screen.

> - A situation where something outside <code> (i.e. natural language)
>   definitely shouldn't have normal line breaking rules applied

Haiku.

<line> (or <l>) would be better for poetry, but it clearly isn't code.

-jJ