Re: <NOBR> - Returning to the question....

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:26:23 -0500
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, www-html@w3.org

I've noticed that in all of the examples you have put forth, Jukka,
have the following thing in common, they contain content you want
to indicate as being a single syntactic unit.  However, prevention
of line breaking is only one presentational way of indicating that.
Presentationally, that could be indicated in other ways such as
by giving the content a different background, font, and/or border.
(Or if one wanted to be very tacky, you could have it blink.)

to the semantic element you want in HTML.  The questions
thus become,
1) Is it something that can be distinguished from <code>?
2) If so, is it common enough to warrant having as an element
distinct from the generic <span>?

While a case can be made for it being distinct from <code>.
I can't say that you've managed to convince me that it is
common enough to warrant distinguishing it from <span>.
There are all sorts of semantic elements that could be
added but aren't.