Lists (XHTML2)

From: Kevin Cannon <kevin@multiblah.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 06:30:30 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org

Hi,

I just looked through the XHTML2 spec and noticed that the ol tag does't
appear to allow you to specify the start attribute again.

I feel that is part of the markup rather than something that should be left to
style.

I helped design a site which needed the constitution online:
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/about/constitution/
and for one of the subsections, the constitution needs to start with a 0,
programming style. (unfortunately, this cannot be done in XHTML strict, so we
had to use 1-10, but it means that the onlin eversion is not an accurate
version of the constitution)

In my understanding of the whole XHTML/CSS seperation thing, you should be
able to copy & paste XHTML documents and they will still make sense.

In this example, the constition needs to always begin with 0. Also, I'd also
imagine that in many legal & legalesque documents there's a big difference
between something being 0-10,i-X,a-z etc...

I think you should consider allowing this basic control into the document.

Also, on a similar note, I think allowing some way of inserting footnotes &
endnotes directly into XHTML would be of a similar benifit.

Kind Regards (and appologies if this has been discussed already)

- Kevin Cannon