Re: XHTML 2.0 User Agent Conformance

From: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:28:48 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

<olafBuddenhagen@web.de> writes:

> If we really gave up the hope that venders will ever ship browsers
> compliant to new standards, I do not see any point in working on
> XHTML 2 at all.

Indeed.

What are the central goals behind the development of XHTML 2?  How is
it intended to differ from conforming XML + CSS?  For example, is it
the intention that XHTML 2 user agents will have default knowledge
of its vocabulary so that they can provide default rendering in the
absence of CSS?

Have such goals been publicly stated in a W3C document?

                                    -- Bill