RE: Lists and the hr or seperator elements

From: Jewett, Jim J <jim.jewett@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:41:46 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Lachlan Hunt:

>   In the past, I have used the <hr/> element for breaking up
> sections of lists (currently ul) used for navigation menus,

> File
>   New
>   Open
>   _____
>   Save
>   etc...

>   If there was a <ligroup> (list item group) tag available, ... like

I don't see option groups (or the suggested dlgroups) as really all
that different from list groups.  Why not just <group>?

> Currently there is no other way to do this with div or any other
> element, since lists can only contain <li> or other lists.

And as long as the list items are being redefined, why not just
allow spans or divs in between the list and the item?

I suppose someone could use the <div> to sneak in other tags -
but these can already occur within the <li>.  Leaving out the
<li> completely might be annoying, but is it really any worse
than what agents have to cope with already, in practice?

-jJ