Re: Tables

From: Scott Rippon <Scott.Rippon@arts.monash.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:31:04 +1100
To: www-html@w3.org

Dear David

Thanks for your feedback.  Is the below example the correct way that
sub-sections should be shown in a HTML table?

Just a couple of question:
1. Have I got the <thead> <tbody> elements in the correct location?
2. Will the rowspan cause difficulty for screen readers?

You are right in that I didn't use <th> for the sub-section headings in
my first example when I should have.  This was because of my
misunderstanding of the <th> element.  Whilst the sub-section headings
are "header information" I think I was wanting to distinguish between
the table headings (what I see as level 1) and table sub-headings (level
2) using the <th> doesn't show this distinction.

I guess also when I'm creating tables in a word processor I don't put an
extra column down the left hand side.  I format them as I formatted my
first example.  I thought using the <caption> would allow people greater
flexibility possibly through using CSS2 caption-side.

Kind regards,
Scott Rippon.

   summary="This table is an example of a table containing subsections.
   In our example the 2 sub-section each contain sub-section headings.">
    Example Table
       <th scope="col">&nbsp;</th>
       <th scope="col">Table Heading 1</th>
       <th scope="col">Table Heading 2</th>
       <th scope="col">Table Heading 3</th>
       <th rowspan="2" scope="row">Sub-section Heading 1</th>
       <th rowspan="2" scope="row">Sub-section Heading 2</th>