Re: allow UTF-16 not just UTF-8 (PR#6774)

Steven:

I think your answer proves my point that the XML commmunity did not and
does not consider the limitations of low cost, constrained embedded
environments when developing XML.

You make the assertion that no extra memory is required yet the reality is
quite the opposite.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of UTF-8 and UTF-16 is
that:

1) Every XHTML tag will require twice as many bytes when represented in
UTF-16 versus UTF-8
2) Every English XHTML-Print print job will be twice as big encoded with
UTF-16 versus UTF-8
3) Every "Latin 1" print job will be larger approaching 2X in size.

When you double the data's size, buffers have to double to be able to hold
and manipulate an equivalent amount of print stream content.  There is real
cost and performance costs to be paid to deal with UTF-16 encoding
especially when dealing with western character sets.  When a device is
designed to deal with the far east "characters" there are other penalties
to be paid in things like the size of the font load that mitigate the
UTF-16 versus UTF-8 encoding issue.

Don Wright                 don@lexmark.com

Chair,  IEEE SA Standards Board
Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors
f.wright@ieee.org / f.wright@computer.org

Director, Alliances and Standards
Lexmark International
740 New Circle Rd C14/082-3
Lexington, Ky 40550
859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)

"Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> on 10/15/2003 07:26:24 PM

To:    <don@lexmark.com>
cc:    "BIGELOW,JIM \(HP-Boise,ex1\)" <jim.bigelow@hp.com>,
       <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>, <don@lexmark.com>,
       <voyager-issues@mn.aptest.com>, <elliott.bradshaw@zoran.com>,
       <www-html@w3.org>
Subject:    Re: allow UTF-16 not just UTF-8 (PR#6774)

But support for UTF 16 adds a few dozen bytes of code, and no extra memory
requirements. It is simpler than UTF 8! What's the problem?

Steven