Re: Cite

From: Lanny Heidbreder <newsgroups@75thtrombone.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:43:09 -0600
To: <www-html@w3.org>

> 1. It would stop people misusing it to italicize titles where nothing
> is cited. Example:

> knapsack.<p>
>
> Here if anything is being cited, it's (implicity) The Seven Pillars
> of Wisdom, and <cite> is inappropriate around "Morte D'Arthur". If
> browsers don't italicize people won't do this.

a)  So what ARE we supposed to use to mark up titles?  <span
class="title">?  Ew.

b)  I don't think your example is an inappropriate use of <cite>.  In
the context of the story, Morte D'Arthur is being cited in a sense.  And
just that it isn't accompanied by a quote doesn't mean it's not a
citation of another work.

In the same way that <dl>s aren't purely for definitions, <cite> doesn't
have to adhere to a strict English definition of a citation.  Does it?
(And I think you're not bending the strict English definition very far
at all to use <cite> this way.)

-LH