Re: AW: XHTML 2.0 and hreflang and type

Hi Lachlan,

Am Samstag, 15. November 2003 16:52 schrieb Lachlan Hunt:
>   For example, if and image was available in png, gif and jpg format,
> how could that be using the HTML 4.01 version of @type in XHTML 2.0?
>
> You could write, as someone suggested previously:
>         Image description here...
>
>   But being able to write that in a less cumbersome way, that gives the
> UA more choice about which type to get is much better, and IMHO, easier
> (for simplicity, I have excluded the q values):
> here...</p>
I'm sure you both know it, so just for those that read the thread (and
therefor just responded to the list, not to the thread authors):
There's a difference.

I think an intelligent user agent would mulitply it's own q values with those
from the type list to form the accept header.
Also, the same user agent might prefer jpeg and gif over png.
It's default qvalues are e.g. image/png;q=0.3, image/gif;q=1.0,
image/jpg;q=1.0

In the case of
>         Image description here...
the user agent preferring jpeg or gif over png will still retreive the png
version, because image/png has become q=0.3, all others have become q=0.

While in case of
it will try to retreive the jpg or gif version and probably receive one of
these depending on the server's choice.

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned yet, but I don't know when and where
anymore:
In the case of (note: this time _with_ file endings, means with uri's not
negotiating over the content type):
            Image description here...
...a user agent that has a image/png q value >0.0 will retreive the PNG
version regardless of the q values of the other content types.

I think a Note clearifying this and a note suggesting how user agents should
treat the type attribute and compute their q values when the type attribute
can carry a type list (which imho only makes sense when it may carry q
values) should be published along with but independantly of XHTML 2.0 - I
think that issue (@hreflang, @type and other attributes related to content
negotiation) also relates to XLink and other specs.

I for my part suggest multiplication of q values and rounding them with
round5, similar as described in RFC 2295 Appendix 19.1
Such a note should take into account RFC 2616 and RFC 2295, especially the 406
response.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (Shareholding CEO)
Telefon: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 37
Telefax: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 39
E-Mail: Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com
WWW: http://www.itcqis.com/