Re: Scripting DTD's

lhunt07@postoffice.csu.edu.au wrote:

> XHTML is not and should not be a programming language.

Why?

> XHTML is called "Extensible HyperText Markup Language", NOT "Extensible
HyperText
> Multipurpose Language", and, therfore, it is designed for marking up
> structure in documents only, and that's how it should stay. Scripting
> XML documents is the domain of the Document Object Model [DOM] and the
> scripting language standards, like ECMAScript [ECMA-262].

This is true. Even I will give that credit, exept for one thing. The DOM
would still be necessary,
otherwise it would be impossible to access elements. Unless my idea were
taken even
further, and allowed people to create their own DOM, but that would get UGLY.
ECMAScript
is supposed to be the great universal scripting language for the web,
unfortunately,
few people use it. How many pages have you looked at that the designer used
ECMAScript?

To allow people to create or structure their own languages by a Scripting
DTD, would give
more power and flexibility to designers, weather they need a simple
If...Then, for their page,
or a vigorous Do Loop Until. This would allow more cross-browser-scripting,
without the
use of a language few people use. And if it were designed correctly, all
browsers with
DTD or XMLNS capability could read and decipher it.

If people refuse to change XHTML, create a new language that would support
the "Extensible HyperText Multipurpose Language".

Aaron Eldreth