AW: AW: AW: XHTML 2.0 and hreflang

From: Oskar Welzl <oskar.welzl@pan.at>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:36:44 +0100
To: "Christian Wolfgang Hujer" <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>, <www-html@w3.org>
Christian,

> - From the German page, he follows a link to another page with
> the following
> hotspot:
> Now he should get glossary.de if it exists, glossary.en otherwise (user's
> choice, overriding the user agent's configuration).

Christian, if a german version of 'glossary' wouldn't exist, it would be a bad practice for the author of the linking document (star.de) to link to it, wouldn't it?
in your example, there's no choice for the user. the user clicks on a link. he's not offered a menu or something. he wants the glossary. and he probably wants the glossary in german, because he starts from a german page using a german language link.

i wonder why on earth hreflink should be so complicated all at once after it has existed for quite a while now and nobody ever thought of it as being in any way related to http-information.

> I would normally not request the
> user to change
> his/her user agent's accept language settings, since most average
> web users
> would be swamped with tampering with their user agent's settings.

most certainly we would not want our users to change their UA settings. the web works fine now without this, i get every language i want without ever changig anything.

regards
oskar