Re: Linktypes Start and Index

Hi,

Am Montag, 10. November 2003 23:02 schrieb Gustaf Liljegren:
> Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:
> >> Link types are somewhat fuzzy, but my understanding is that index has
> >> the second meaning and start means the start of the list linked by
> >> previous and next links.
> >
> >I agree.
>
> Opera agrees too. Start is called "Home" on Opera's Navigation Bar, while
> Index is called "Index". I like the Opera implementation and agree it would
> be very nice to have this in the other browsers too. But it's confusing to
I don't think so.
The <link/> is general information. I expect a good user agent to display it
in a separate site navigation bar, similar in the way Lynx, Opera and Mozilla
do it.
An <a/> I expect only to be displayed in the document itself, except in case
it carries a rel attribute, in which case I expect it to also be displayed in
the site navigation bar, where it extends the links. I also expect an <a/>
which only repeats information of previous <a/> or <link/> elements to create
no superflous entries in the site navigation bar.

> I also noticed that Opera supports alternate stylesheets. Not according to
> HTML 4.01 -- but in a better way, I think. The spec wants you to write
>
>   <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" href="blue.css">
>   <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" href="green.css">
>
> but Opera doesn't like the "alternate" link type to be there.
I think the way of Opera is not a better way.
It violates the specs. Opera doesn't treat rel as %LinkTypes; properly because
%LinkTypes; is defined to be a *list* of LinkTypes while Opera only
understands a single LinkType.

I can't see why Opera's implementation should be better.
The standard way works fine, see Mozilla's Alternate Stylesheets.

> One more question: does anyone have an idea about what the "rev" attribute
> is used for? I know it's the opposite of "rel", but how would a conforming
> browser handle it? Maybe it's not for browsers at all? Maybe it's to a
> better use for robots.
I think it's only useful for robots, spiders and such or meta information the
browser displays on demand.
Though I often include the rev attribute, I do not expect a user agent to do
something with the information.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (Shareholding CEO)
Telefon: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 37
Telefax: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 39
E-Mail: Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com
WWW: http://www.itcqis.com/