Re: XHTML with Internet Explorer

Am Sonntag, 2. November 2003 12:34 schrieb Jim Ley:
> "Tantek Celik" <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote in message
>
> > IE (on any platform), in short, does not support XHTML.
>
> This is incorrect, XHTML 1.0 is supported by all versions of Internet
> Explorer.
>
> It does not support the mime-type application/xhtml+xml, but text/html is
> (ridiculously) a valid mime-type for XHTML 1.0.
To agree with Tantek and the others, IE afaik does not support XHTML 1.0.
And text/html is not valid for XHTML 1.0 in general.

Just because you send XHTML 1.0 as text/html in compatibility mode does not
mean, IE supports XHTML 1.0.

A correct XHTML 1.0 document following 3.1.1 of the XHTML 1.0 recommendation
might declare its own entities, e.g.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD/ XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd" [
 <!ENTITY copyright "&copy; 2003 ITCQIS GmbH. All rights reserved.">
]>
I can't see why the above example should conflict with section 3.1 Document
Conformance of the XHTML 1.0 Recommendation. I even couldn't find a section
in the HTML Compatibility Guidelines telling not to use an internal subset.
Of course I could have missed it. (And of course, I wouldn't use the above
example, especially not in compatibility mode when serving as text/html)

Since XHTML documents are XML documents, the doctype must be processed, even
if it isn't validating.
See production [68] of the XML recommendation, where the WFC: Entity Declared
states:
"[...] Note that if entities are declared in the external subset or in
external parameter entities, a non-validating processor is not obligated to
read and process their declarations; for such documents, the rule that an
entity must be declared is a well-formedness constraint only if
standalone='yes'."
But in the above example, the entity is declared in the internal subset.
To support XHTML, XHTML must be processed as XML.
Otherwise this is just a compatibility tag soup processing in HTML 4.

By the way, if _Tantek Celik_ tells IE doesn't support XHTML, I suggest you
believe him ;-)

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (Shareholding CEO)
Telefon: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 37
Telefax: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 39
E-Mail: Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com
WWW: http://www.itcqis.com/