Re: The <blockcode> and <l> elements

Jewett, Jim J wrote:

>Lachlan Hunt:
>
>	<blockcode>
>	public static void main(String[] args) {
>	<l>    System.out.println("Hello World");</l>
>	}
>	</blockcode>
>
>	... it is not logical for some lines of code to
>	have the <l> and other's to not.
>
>In this example, yes.  But it would make more sense if
>executable code had line markings and comments didn't,

Every code editor I've used numbers comment lines as well as code
lines.  The same should be true here.  I realise my example wasn't the
best, but it's the point I was making that matters.

>	Also, with the existing content model, it is possible
>	to include virtually any element (all?) like <h>, <p>,
>	<ul>, etc...  Real program code cannot contain headings,
>	paragraphs or lists, only lines of code,
>
>Comments -- including function headers -- often contain all
>of these things, as do documentation strings.  Whether they
>should be shown as lists or as the raw PCDATA used to make
>that list is probably a fair question.

<blockcode> is for marking up code.  Some comments, like javadoc
comments, are written with html markup inside, however, the editor still
shows these as text, not as parsed, and presented markup.  This is how I
would expect code within a <blockcode> element to be presented as well.

>	This (poor) use, obviously, has no more structure than the <br/>
>
>	... specify in the DTD or Schema that this element *cannot* be
>empty.
>
>I would expect that to produce two line breaks - one at each end of the
>marked line.  That seems OK to me; if you're worrying about individual
>lines, then the layout is semantically important.  The blank lines
>between stanzas of poetry (or blocks of code) do matter, at least in
>some cases.
>
>-jJ

I would expect that these would be seperate paragraphs (or stanzas),
rather than seperated just a blank line.  If <p> was inappropriate for
stanzas of a poem, then the author would be best to use <div>, or
similar, instead, rather than doing essentially the same thing as <br/>
does.