Re: <t> element (and others) was (Re: XHTML <time> element proposal)

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:56:18 -0800
To: Jeremy Rand <jeremy@asofok.org>, <www-html@w3.org>

On 11/2/03 1:17 PM, "Jeremy Rand" <jeremy@asofok.org> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> <num> (or <n>) - ordinal or generic numeric value.
>
> In other words, a mathematical expression.

not an expression.  a single value.

the grammars of numerous computer languages understand and demonstrate the
difference between the two.

> Wouldn't MathML be
> better-suited for that?

for expressions yes.  for simple numeric values i believe the expression is
(no pun intended), swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

> (Yes, I know about the "pain to hand-author"
> argument.  There are enough MathML generators out there that it seems
> pretty easy to use one to write the MathML fragment, and then paste it
> into the XHTML document.  Or it could be built into an XHTML editor,
> like in Amaya.)

many things are possible.  as is mixing various DocBook XML markup into an
XHTML document.  there is still value in adding simple/generic solutions to
XHTML itself rather than always resorting to domain-specific specialty
markup.

Tantek