Re: XHTML 2.0 User Agent Conformance

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:51:59 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

On 11/1/03 3:49 AM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, David Woolley wrote:
>>
>> On these lists, we have heard recently that Microsoft is moving away
>> from this, except for supporting very high profile broken sites - the
>> scope of quirks mode is reducing at every bug fix - that may be because
>> they have an effective monopoly.
>
> Tantek can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe he was referring
> purely to the MacIE product,

Specifically, the Tasman engine.

> which does not have a monopoly position,

Last time I checked, neither did IE6/Windows.  Anything older is only proof
that there isn't anything "effective" in terms of position there.

> and is no longer in active development in any case.

Specifically, IE (on any platform that I know of) is no longer in active
development with the exception of minor fixes for various security etc.
reasons.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure what this has to do with XHTML 2.0 User Agent
Conformance.

Tantek