Re: XHTML 2.0 User Agent Conformance

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 13:01:13 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

>   Why shouldn't UAs have knowledge of the XHTML DTD?  If a DOCTYPE is
> specified, then isn't it a requirement of XML that the document

Firstly I believe that they should, but there is a lobby, particularly
on the www-css list, that takes the view that browsers should purely
apply CSS to XML.  My impression is that the person to whom I wrote the
long response about the semantic web, etc., belongs to that lobby.

One particular characteristic of that lobby is that they reject the
idea that there should be any named character entities other than the
four (?) in the XML specification itself.