Re: XHTML 2.0 User Agent Conformance

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:20:17 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

> > Have you considered the cost of shipping a conformant browser?

Shipping a corrected browser will cost something similar to shipping
one with a security hot fix.  Shipping such versions is common these
days!!  Developing a correct browser will cost a lot less than
developing current ones, as much of the code in current ones is about
error recovery.

> This is an important point to mention; an issue that regulary makes me
> want to cry. It would really help if the W3C folks would just start to
> think twice before shipping unimplementable standards...

All new W3C "standards" have to demonstrate two interoperable implementations
(at least of any given feature).  This didn't apply to HTML 4.01, or CSS2,
but it does apply XHTML 2.0, CSS3, and, I believe, CSS2.1.