XHTML 2 WD: Embedding Attribute Collection Comments

From: Tom McDonnell <qirexrd@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 21:51:13 +0930
To: www-html@w3.org

Having reviewed the latest Working Draft, I felt I must comment on the
Embedding Attribute Collection.

I don't see any need for the collection, the <object> element already
provides this functionality. Take the first example in the working draft:

        An image of us on holiday.

Shouldn't this be done:

<object data="holiday.png" type="image/png">
  <object data="holiday.gif" type="image/gif">

Ditto can be applied to the table example.

I really feel the working drafts example is misuse of <p> element; the
collection is blurring the lines of the purpose of elements. The generic
<object> element was designed encapsulate fallback logic, so I cannot
understand why this new attribute collection has been introduced to serve
the same purpose. I suggest it be dropped.

Tom McDonnell

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. No account expiration - no need to
worry about losing your Hotmail account. Go to