Re: dl, dd, dt in XHTML 2.0

From: Rafael Gieschke <rafael@gieschke.de>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:27:37 +0200
To: <www-html@w3.org>

OK, you're right. This was a bad example / proposal, sorry.

I actually / originally wanted to ask wether there is really such a big
difference between a definition list and an (un)ordered list containing
list-items with headings (or even sections with headings), especially
because "dl"s "may have other applications" (see XHTML 2 WD, previous
(X)HTML RECs) than marking up definitions. (So, my mail wasn't acutally
related to your discussion, sorry.)

So, why shouldn't the "advertising a product" example in the RECs be marke
up as:

The new version of this product costs significantly less than the previous
one! </li>
We've changed the product so that it's much easier to use! </li>
You can leave your kids alone in a room with this product and they won't get
hurt (not a guarantee). </li>

And the "next" example:

<h>The ingredients: </h>
    <li>100 g. flour </li>
<h>The procedure:</h>
    <li>Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. </li>
The recipe may be improved by adding raisins.

Is there really a need for a dl element *in the current form* ?
In which points does a dl differ from the last example?

Rafael Gieschke