RE: dl, dd, dt in XHTML 2.0

From: Marcos Caceres <marcos@datadriven.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:48:57 +1000
To: "'Jens Meiert'" <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, <www-html@w3.org>

Hey Jens,
I agree that domain specific semantics for a term might call for only
one definition (as is the case with an ontology like Dublin Core Terms
or a in a General Definition part of a W3C spec doc). However, any
dictionary that I've ever looked at always contains one or more
definitions for a term. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have
multiple definitions for a term. For instance, the word 'Cat' can be a
furry four legged creature, or an abbreviation for the type of boat

In XHTML 2.0, how I structure my terms and definitions is *open* (or
ambiguous) in the RelaxNG implementation:

  <define name="dl">
      <element name="dl">
        <ref name="dl.attlist"/>
        <ref name="dt"/>
        <ref name="dd"/>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the above definition, I can
have one or more dt or dl in any order and it should still be valid. I
would be nice to hear why you don't agree with my suggestion of
structuring terms and definitions through encapsulation.

Thanks again for the feedback,