Re: Named character entities

Henri wrote on Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 6:37:22 AM:

> 5) Non-validating XML processors are not required to process
> external entities. That is, they are not required to process the
> external DTD subset.

You seem to be saying that XHTML can't provide additional restrictions
(beyond XML) and still be XML. I don't understand where you're getting
this from. I agree XHTML must be XML, but random XML is probably not
XHTML--there are additional restrictions in the XHTML spec that
prevent most XML documents from being XHTML. XHTML can be more
restrictive than XML and still be XML. XHTML UAs can be required to
recognize named character entities without violating the XML
specification, or placing additional requirements on generic XML UAs.
Does that make sense?

> I guess that depends on the definition of "bug". Your approach would
> make it very easy to publish bug-free software. :-)

It's funny you say that, since my point is that things you don't
consider bugs may well be considered bugs by the developers. The
implication is that there will be more bugs.

Of course the opposite is also true. Things you consider bugs may not
be considered bugs by the developers; although users are often wrong.
If the developers fail to label *anything* a bug, however, they'll go
out of business, unless the developers don't need to make money by
selling that product, for whatever reason.

--
John Lewis