Re: XHTML module for addresses

From: <natej@excite.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 23:04:54 +0900 (JST)
To: karl@w3.org
Cc: w3c-ml@robinlionheart.com, www-html@w3.org

<snip />

> I would like to see a content model that
> be usable by third
> parties software to make, for example,
> <address>
> 	<person>Haruki Murakami</person>
> 	<street>Omote-Sando</street>
> 	<city>Tokyo</city>
> </address>

I'm inclined to agree with Karl Dubost ("I
would prefer an extensible semantic mechanism
and not specific  elements.").

there's gotta be people on this list who know
better than i do, but

<person>Haruki Murakami</person>

is just wrong, as Tokyo isn't a prefecture
(ditto Osaka-fu).

<municipality type="city"
class="to">Tokyo</municipality> might work

but consider

<city>Hong Kong <abbr title="Special
Administrative Region">SAR</abbr></city>

<municipality type="sar">Hong Kong</city>

<city>Hong Kong</city>
<sar />

to say nothing of a mainland author with an
address in Taibei/Taipei.

if a predefined set of elements are used
should they be nested in some fashion? e.g.

even being from an exception like Kansas
City, i tend to think of cities as being
inside states.

(maybe the propaganda spammers are listening)

- (in)valid?

( maybe <occupant> or <resident> is a better
name for the element than <person>, seeing as
organizations, businesses, even empty lots
can have street addresses. )

OTOH, there are downsides to leaving it up to
authors, e.g. "Shanghai [2]00131" because a
page author offers a full list of countries
but assumes everyone has a zip code with 5 or
fewer digits.

and (this a question) are

<address zip="90210-1234" />

PO Box 1234
Beverly Hill, CA 90210

the same thing as far as the USPS and/or a
machine is concerned?

Nate Jarvis