Re: Element for Dates/Times

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:59:42 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> When I'm reading The Register, I encounter article dates like

I can't imagine The Register using such a feature if it existed.  My
guess is the only uptake for such a feature would be from people who
were aware enough of the issue to code dates in an unambiguous way,
e.g. the ISO format, in the first place.

> my error. I'd like very much for my browser to be able to convert dates for
> me, even if only in a tooltip or a status line message.

That can be done with only lang= markup, although again, there is
probably a strong correlation between poor use of this and use of
ambiguous dates.  Microsoft Word attempts to recognize dates, even when
only partially entered (for auto-completion) so the technology to
do this unhinted certainly exists.