Re: Magic Elements (was: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 20:23:47 +0300
To: hsivonen@niksula.hut.fi

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 05:44 Europe/Helsinki, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> c. Keep <q> and *recommend* its use (where appropriate).

fancy-looking markup as a surrogate for punctuation because it is
somehow thought that the proper punctuation can't be written. They are
more about surrogates for punctuation than about exact markup
delimiting a quoted string, because in practice the end tag would be
placed where the closing quote would be placed in en-US even if that
meant the last character of the delimited string wasn’t actually be
quoted from an outside source but was part of a surrounding sentence.

Consider

> 	He said, <quote>"I'm stuck with hardcoded ugly quotes
> 	but I can be used by anybody in the world if they
> 	really want to go to that much trouble!"</quote>
>
> 	Smiling at his boorishness, she replied, <q>I can't
> 	be deeply nested, and I only work well in a Gringo-
> 	Eurotrash world, but I'm a heck of a lot better
> 	looking than you are.</q>
>
> 	Ambling hand-in-hand (they were, after all, soulmates)
> 	off into the sunset, he sweetly (and un-marked-up-edly)
> 	murmured, &ldquo;We DO make a beautiful couple, don't
> 	we?&rdquo;

<quote>“We look as good as the two last candidates and we don’t need
markup or entities to stand in for us. While we’re at it, we can
delimit a quotation with other characters that allegedly can’t be typed
such as €, α and ů.”</quote>

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi