Re: XHTML module for addresses

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:08:09 -0400
To: "Robin Lionheart" <w3c-ml@robinlionheart.com>, <www-html@w3.org>

At 5:22 -0400 2003-05-15, Robin Lionheart wrote:
>Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>  Now, that being said, <address> is woefully inadequate to markup typical
>>  address information.  Perhaps someone needs to come up with a vCard
>>  XHTML module (perhaps somebody already has).
>
><address> doesn't give user agents trying to parse addresses much help,
>that's for sure.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030506/mod-block-text.html#sec_8.1.

=============
8.1. The address element

The address element may be used by authors to supply contact
information for a document or a major part of a document such as a
form. This element often appears at the beginning or end of a
document.

content model of address element
The content model of the address element should be improved to
improve its semantic processability.
===============

I would like to see a content model that will be usable by third
parties software to make, for example,

<address>
	<person>Haruki Murakami</person>
	<street>Omote-Sando</street>
	<city>Tokyo</city>
</address>

extractable by a software on your desktop to get the data in your address book.

Second issue. That arise with many elements, we should stop the
notion of block/span for elements by defaults. Because I can have

A Web page like that.
	Haruki Murakami
	Omote-Sando
	Tokyo

Or I can have
Omote-Sando, Tokyo.</p>

Disclaimer:
I would prefer an extensible semantic mechanism and not specific
elements. See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003May/0174.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager