Re: XHTML module for addresses

From: <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:59:55 +0200 (MEST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> Postal addresses are quite common in HTML documents. Making them readily
> parseable by user agents suggest many useful applications besides obvious
> ones like passing addresses to a word processor or to a map-generating
> service like MapQuest. For example, localized search engines could use
> elements like <city> to find content connected to a particular region,
> especially if it could be used outside of <address> blocks.

- First, that sounds like a great chance to abuse this extra flagged
information. (Mail) spammers and whoever will be happy about this opportunity. --
This disadvantage obviously outweighes all possible benefits for serious
services.

- <irony>Second, be consequent and add some <phone
type="(home|business|mobile)" /> etc.pp. elements to ensure the next (possible) malpractice...</irony>

I'm sorry, but privacy concerns are IMO too important to be abstracted away,
although there exist enough methods to get personal, and although this topic
cannot be a W3 task.

 Jens Meiert.

--
Jens Meiert