RE: XHTML2 MIME type

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:51:36 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

>>> According to
>>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2002Aug/0136.html>
>>> it is even considered to remove character entity references from
>>> XHTML 2.0. I like that idea.

>> I think getting rid of them is a good idea.

> FWIW, I agree.
> I do think character entities have *some* merit in *some*
> applications, e.g. MathML, but in XHTML there are no need
> for them.

Except that removing them makes it exponentially more difficult for a number
of authors who want or need to stay within the ASCII subset of UTF-8.
Typing &Alpha; when you need it is a nobrainer; having to look up the
Unicode number for each non-ASCII character you enter is a *real* pain.

There's the invariable "You need a better tool" responses, but such always
bring very loud screams from those just amputated.  Can't say that I blame
them.

/Jelks