Re: The style attribute, again (was: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

Tantek Çelik / 2003-05-09 14:02:

> On 5/8/03 8:05 PM, "kelvSYC" <kelvsyc@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>Here are my thoughts on the new XHTML draft:
>>
>>Style Attribute Module:
>>I thought the style attribute was soundly defeated in an earlier
>>debate...?
>
> Quite the opposite.  It boiled down to the professional web community
> (individuals and companies) demonstrating real-world use/need-cases, which a
> few theoreticians argued in theory should either not be necessary or not
> exist, thus completely missing the point, no matter how many times the same
> hollow theoretical arguments were reiterated.

IIRC, the last post to www-html list about this issue was by Ian
Hickson's "We don't need the style attribute"
<URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Jan/0277.html>.
Nobody expressed disagreement.

In addition (again IIRC), there wasn't a single real-world example
where the style attribute would have been needed [1]. All the
examples given were a direct result of silly authoring methods. If
XHTML targets to be a yet another presentational markup language,
then we should include the style attribute, otherwise not.

[1] If you feel otherwise, please provide an URL. Copy pasting
markup like |<span style="font-weight:bold;">some emphasized
text</span>| doesn't count as semantic document authoring.

--
Mikko