Re: XHTML2 MIME type

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Christoph Schneegans wrote:

> In <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#uaconf>, the XHTML specification says
> about conforming user agents:
>
>   "If it encounters an entity reference (other than one of the entities
>   defined in this recommendation or in the XML recommendation) for which
>   the user agent has processed no declaration ..., the entity reference
>   should be processed as the characters ... that make up the entity
>   reference."

This is a bug in the XHTML spec. As I've reported before [1], the XHTML
spec goes WAY out of its juresdiction in its conformance section.

Mozilla has worked around this by not claiming to be an XHTML UA. Mozilla
is an XML UA with built-in knowledge of the XHTML1 namespace, but it is
_not_ an XHTML UA, and is therefore not technically bound by the XHTML
conformance requirements... :-)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/2001MayJun/0141.html