Re: XHTML2 MIME type

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 20:50:02 +0300
To: www-html@w3.org

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 12:20 Europe/Helsinki, Christoph Schneegans
wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> Non-validating parsers don't have to process external entities.
>
> This is what <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#include-if-valid> says, but
> does it apply to XHTML user agents?

It does, if XHTML is an application of XML and doesn't normatively
require a validating XML processor to be used.

> I expect a browser that accepts "application/xhtml+xml" to support
> XHTML,
> not just generic XML.

I expect a browser that supports a language that is an application of
XML to parse that language using a conforming XML-processor with no
special casing introduced at the XML processor level.

> In <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#uaconf>, the XHTML specification says
> about conforming user agents:
>
>   "If it encounters an entity reference (other than one of the entities
>   defined in this recommendation or in the XML recommendation) for
> which
>   the user agent has processed no declaration ..., the entity reference
>   should be processed as the characters ... that make up the entity
>   reference."

That looks like specifying things that are in the realm of the XML spec.

> According to
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2002Aug/0136.html>, it is
> even considered to remove character entity references from XHTML 2.0. I
> like that idea.

I think getting rid of them is a good idea.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi