Re: Magic Elements (was: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@jelks.nu>
Subject: Magic Elements (was: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

> There's a new removal error about to happen: <q>.  Just as there may be
> difficulties in edge cases of <ol start="0">, there may be some with <q>
in
> some i18n contexts, but is throwing the baby out with the bathwater
> warranted here?
>
> If the WG follows the same path for <ol> as it took recently with <q>,
we'll
> no doubt end up with something like ...
>

> <orderedlist>
> <li>1. Cats</li>
> <li>2. Dogs</li>
> <li>3. Rats</li>
> </orderedlist>

Your argument doesn't hold true, however. The WG changed <line> into <l>, a
decision I still think is ludicrous, given the similarities to the letter i
and the number 1 in some typefaces. Imagine the havoc this sort of thing
could cause: <l>The binary number 111 looks very ill</l> ;)

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net