Re: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 07:23:34 +0100
To: kelvSYC <kelvsyc@shaw.ca>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:05:37PM -0600, kelvSYC wrote:
| class Attribute:
| The definition of the class attribute seems to depend on CSS.  If this
| is so, then why isn't this moved to being a part of CSS?

There is no requirement that the class attribute be merely a reference
to some definition in the stylesheet. The class attribute could be used,
for example, to identify nodes in the DOM tree by a script in a page
that doesn't even use stylesheets.

| cite Element and Attribute:
| I think the entire citation mechanism needs to be reworked.  What if
| someone used print (or generally non-internet) citations?  Currently,
| the cites cannot address this.

A reference to "Death on the Nile" by Agatha Christie:

<quote cite="urn:isbn:0425173739"> ... </quote>

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto:tobyink@goddamn.co.uk | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
    aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:tobyink@a-message.de