Re: Feedback on XHTML 2.0 WD (20030131)

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:59:23 +0100
To: "Reinthaler, Frank" <Frank.Reinthaler@auspost.com.au>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:02:28PM +1000, Reinthaler, Frank wrote:
| Perhaps because by enforcing the use of <meta name="DC.Title" /> we are
| enforcing the use of the Dublin Core standard whereas authors may wish to
| use other metadata schemes?

It is possible to mix and match several metadata schemes. There is
nothing to stop a document using a few DC's and a few AC's.

Whatsmore, use of the <title /> element is just another metadata
scheme. We are already forcing people to use this metadata scheme, so
what's so wrong about forcing the use of a different scheme instead.

Once more, I say... scrap the <title/> element! You know it makes sense!

| Also how do you make mandatory the use of the attribute and value
| 'name="DC.Title"' for the meta element in the DTD?

I don't know much about DTDs, but presumably we can make it mandatory in
the same way that we make 'xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"' mandatory
for all XHTML1.1 documents.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/conformance.html#strict

--