embed element

From: Sigurd Lerstad <sigler@bredband.no>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:56:18 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Hello,

Looking at the svg test suites. The frame-based version uses <embed> (go
figure :) But I can't find in any of the (x)html specs any reference to the
<embed> element. I know this element is deprecated. Or maybe it's never been
a standard, but just something netscape came up with? But why are the svg
test suites using it instead of <object> or <iframe> ?

Why am I asking? Because I'm making a XHTML+SVG UA and I'd like users of my
UA to view the svg test suites. And in order to do that I must now implement
support for the <embed> element (really annoying really :)

Where is the definition for <embed>?

thanks,

--
Sigurd Lerstad