Re: Key/Item data

From: Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP] <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:52:31 +0000
To: Jim Dabell <jim-www-html@jimdabell.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Jim Dabell wrote:

[long snip]

> So, to address your original question, I believe that, although the
> recommendation seems to condone using <dl> in this way, I would use a <table>
> element.  I may be in a minority though.

I would too, but mainly because it will look better in the absence
of a suitable style sheet.  However, to address your more substantive
point, isn't there a clear case for asking the W3C to consider
widening the scope of <DL<>DT<>DD>, renaming them to be (e.g.)
<KP><KW<>KV>, with the implied semantics

	<KP> = "Keyword/value pair"
	<KW> = "Keyword"
	<KV> = "Key value"

As you so rightly point out, definitions are just one possible
instantiation of keyword-value pairs, and a generic markup
language such as XHTML should surely contain generic tags
rather than specific.

Philip Taylor, RHBNC