Re: Font Style Elements

From: Wingnut <wingnut@winternet.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:03:09 -0600
To: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

<snip>

> semantic. The style information can always be split from the markup,
> because it is not part of it. (This is one of the many reasons [1] that
> the style attribute itself is unnecessary.)
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Jan/0277.html

Again, Ian... not necessarily true.  In a "node viewer"  application, it
might OFTEN be desireable that the style travel with the node.
Handing-around and viewing the node would be SO much easier if one need
not worry about making sure that a LINK to the stylesheet, or an
in-document STYLE element... is available at the time of node viewing,
or when transcluding a new document together.  In fact, I predict that
MOST transcluded documents (made from pieces & parts of other documents)
WILL have style attributes in the nodes... instead of trying to
translate stylesheets or style tags from many sources... into the new
transcluded document.  Finding/extracting rules found in stylesheets,
and rules in style elements... and converting them to style attribute
strings... will become a common function of "node harvesting".  Just my
opinion.

Wingnut