Re: Should encoding of site structure be standardized?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 08:19:34 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

> things (site headers etc) are so important to the
> pages that we can not leave them to some stylesheet
> that _might_ be used.

Although the marketing department might disagree, I would consider
logos as styling.  However, I would consider navigation tools as
content.  The right way of client side including these is to use
external entities in XHTML, but that requires validating browsers
(which don't exist).  Even they are allowed to defer loading of
the resource (which some may actually consider desirable).

However, backward compatibilty means you cannot rely on either CSS or
validating XML browsers, and marketing indifference means you cannot
rely on the HTML 1.0 (not XHTML) link element, that covers a lot of
basic navigation and site consolidation needs (I think the problem here
is that the developers knew that marketing departments wouldn't want
the browsers' default styling of these, and would want them inline,
where they could control the appearence).