Re: Should encoding of site structure be standardized?

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:10:06 +0000
To: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Cc: Øystein Ingmar Skartsæterhagen <goystein_goy@yahoo.no>, www-html@w3.org
On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 02:22:56AM +0200, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
| Believe me, I'm maintaining a site with such navigation data, by
| hand.

Straying into the off-topic, but IMHO, any website with more than a dozen
pages should use a content management system so that consistant navigation
can be maintained between pages.

The alternatives are ugly -- frames, Java-/ECMAscript (document.write,
anyone?).

If you don't have enough control over your pages to do this server side,
then write a script on your own computer that accomplishes the same thing
and then spits out the finished pages. I used to use such a thing.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto:tobyink@goddamn.co.uk | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
    aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:tobyink@a-message.de