RE: broadcast and p2p media

From: Annala Raino EC <Raino.Annala@elisa.fi>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:36:31 +0300
To: "Toby A Inkster" <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

Ok,

thanks for the input guys.

>Well yes, particularly as these links might not just appear in XHTML,
>but also in other places, such as databases, spreadsheets, browser
>bookmarks, e-mails, etc: it makes sense to do this sort of thing in
>the URI instead of the markup.

That's a good point. I can understand your reasoning there. However I'm still
wondering whether wording and my illustrative examples drew the discussion to this
direction. Now as an after thought the URI-based solution just seems too obvious. I
guess I was thinking it might be easier to get support for these features on browsers
if there were amendments to the markup also. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

>I believe that filesharing program eDonkey has already defined a URI
>scheme. Gnutella also has a URN-based URI scheme, which I think is kind
>of a nifty way of doing things.

Interesting. I have understood that eDonkey is one of predominant protocols at the
moment, so it will definately be worth a check. thanks.

Raino