Re: CSS integration proposal

From: Arthur Wiebe <webmaster@awiebe.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:46:52 -0400
To: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, www-html@w3.org

Jens Meiert wrote:

>As I looked over the XHTML draft, I thought about a more generic CSS
>integration similar to the Ruby module. So, what about referring to (internal) CSS
>via
>

><css>
>   <!-- add styles here -->
></css>
>

>and, related to external CSS, via
>

><css href="URI" />
>

>I guess this is really self-descriptive and you even don't need to announce
>the type attribute (text/css). Please tell me, if I overlooked something
>important; nevertheless, what do you mean?
>

> Jens Meiert.

What's wrong with the style element? I have always wondered why the link
element was used for stylesheets, but I can't agree with your proposal
since the style element can do what you've just showed there. I've
thought about adding a src attribute to style but that wouldn't be any
better than link. Unless we could use <style src="/style.css"
type="text/css" />. But for alternate and all those other values, I
don't know. I think we should stick with link for now unless someone can
think of something better.
<Arthur/>