Re: Date Fields in HTML

From: James Brown <james@dreambreed.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:31:34 +0100
To: "Mikko Rantalainen" <mira@cc.jyu.fi>, <www-html@w3.org>

Hi all,

Again, thank you very much for your input.  I wasn't aware that a universal
date format had been adopted, and I'm very glad that the one that has been
is a sensible one!  Therefore how about the following (along the lines of
Mikko's suggestion):

<date time="2002-11-19T13:24:38+02:00" format="short-date">19/11/2002</date>

Where the "time" attribute is the date and time value that the coder is
wanting to represent in the ISO standard format, where "format" is the type
of date display that the coder is wanting to show, and where the value
between the <date></date> tags provides a version of the date for users with
a browser that doesn't support the <date> tag.

In the example above, the browser would convert the value from the "time"
attribute to the users preferred short-date format.

Mikko - you mentioned something about using CSS instead of HTML.  I'm
certainly not an expert in CSS (although I do use it).  Do you think this
idea would be more suitable as a CSS attribute?

Thank you for your patience

Regards,

James Brown