Re: [#293] Summary for tables

> 1. This will make people think that layout with tables is good, because
> XHTML allows the value 'table'.

Are tables (used for layout) really that bad...? I really see Accessibility
problems, but these would be removed introducing the type attribute. -- Maybe
XHTML 2 will us enable a 'new beginning' (e.g. not needing layout tables
anymore) and everything gets better, but maybe (and IMO likely) it is necessary
to use them later, too, and an optional type attribute (for emergency cases,
if you want) offers an alternative.

> 2. Is this a proposal for XHTML 2.0? When do you think XHTML 2.0 will be
> implemented? Do you think browsers not capable of rendering a CSS (CSS
> 2.0 rec is from 1998!) based layout will implement the table type
> attribute earlier?

In general, it would be useful -->now. And I think it's not important when
anything is implemented properly by e.g. browser vendors, since it is
characteristic for the IT landscape that there are many recommendations,
specifications etc. you first have to wait until you can really and properly use them
(see the Java 1.4 introduction, or the buggy CSS 2 support, take what you want
-- often you have to pass on possible features for maybe weeks, maybe years).

-- Last but not least, my proposal was rather an idea how the problem could
have been solved quite earlier than to start a discussion about who, where
and when. And I can live without it.

Best regards,
 Jens.

--