Re: Shorten <object> in XHTML 2.0?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:43:27 +0300
To: www-html@w3.org

On Monday, Jun 30, 2003, at 20:27 Europe/Helsinki, Brian Bober wrote:

> First off, let me say that I am not well versed in XML, but I thought
> XML was
> extensible.

In order to avoid confusion, I suggest regarding the 'X' in "XML" and
"XHTML" just as a cool letter (as in "X11", "Mac OS X" and "Windows
XP") and regarding "extensible" as a positive buzzword that can be
abbreviated as 'X' rather that taking the extensibility too literally.

> Can't people create their own <obj /> element in their page that
> would be an <object /> element? If so, then they can rename it at
> their own
> descretion.

With XML, you can invent element names as you go, but you shouldn't
expect programs written by others to do anything useful with your
homegrown elements without prior agreement.

Henri Sivonen