Re: Shorten <object> in XHTML 2.0?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:43:27 +0300
To: www-html@w3.org

On Monday, Jun 30, 2003, at 20:27 Europe/Helsinki, Brian Bober wrote:

> First off, let me say that I am not well versed in XML, but I thought
> XML was
> extensible.

In order to avoid confusion, I suggest regarding the 'X' in "XML" and
"XHTML" just as a cool letter (as in "X11", "Mac OS X" and "Windows
XP") and regarding "extensible" as a positive buzzword that can be
abbreviated as 'X' rather that taking the extensibility too literally.

> Can't people create their own <obj /> element in their page that
> would be an <object /> element? If so, then they can rename it at
> their own
> descretion.

With XML, you can invent element names as you go, but you shouldn't
expect programs written by others to do anything useful with your
homegrown elements without prior agreement.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi