RE: Re: Clarification needed on ALT/TITLE tooltips

From: Brian Bober <netdemonz@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 07:47:17 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-html@w3.org

--- Chris Moschini <Chris.Moschini@amdocs.com> wrote:

> I agree this is a very normal case. To write a standard that is complex (as
> all modern W3C standards certainly are) then demand that every author of HTML
> grasp all of its complexity before writing a character of HTML is a bit
> snobbish. In the Web's beginnings, the above meteorologist may have been on
> his way to becoming a serious Web Developer without realizing it. What then?
>
> If evangelism is part of the mission of the W3C (the recent comments in this
> thread have begged such a mission), perhaps simplified documents ought to be
> published with each standard, distilling, for example, XHTML 1.0 + CSS3 down
> to the most basic pieces a beginning developer ought to know, and so,
> explicitly state what a crappy "How to write webpages" book or crappy WYSIWYG
> editor is missing the boat on when we say one or the other is a problem.

Unlike back in 1994, there are a lot of online guides now that are written by
people that almost fully understand the standards. The question is: do people
find them? I believe a good book is still the most comprehensive guide you can
find, and if you are going to be a web developer, you want that even if you can
find good tutorials on the web, and read the standards. Some books are better
than others, and I wonder if any are recommended by w3c.