Re: My thoughts on XHTML 2

From: Jonny Axelsson <jax@opera.no>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:33:33 +0100

I consider removing 'script', 'noscript' and 'style' a non-starter.

We don't set out to make XHTML 2.0 hard to use from a Purity Of Essence
line of argument (an earlier thread claiming the opposite notwithstanding).

In XHTML 2.0 alternate content to scripts is done with nesting, 'object'
style. This would have made 'noscript' somewhat redundant if inline scripts
hadn't been allowed and backwards compatibility had been no issue. But
inline scripts are very practical, and, at least in my opinion, a sensible
migration strategy from XHTML 1.0/1.1 is paramount. Forcing people to rip
out inline scripts and style sheets is not such a strategy.

--
Jonny Axelsson,
Web Standards,