Re: My thoughts on XHTML 2

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, fantasai wrote:
> Kelvin Chung wrote:
> > 1. Is there any point to having <sub> or <sup>?  I cannot find any real
> > semantic value in these two elements.

>   9ft<sup>2</sup>

None of the above examples really answers Kelvin's question (with the
exception perhaps of the first one).  If an engine were given the task of
finding the units on the 9 above, how would it make heads or tails of:
ft<sup>2</sup>?  This is just feet with a superscripted 2 at the end.  It
might do better for there to be entities like &squared; and &cubed; that
really mean something.

In the same vein, how would an engine know how many Hydrogens are in the
above equation for glucose?  Nothing about "<sub>" makes this clear.  In
these two cases <sub> and <sup> are used presentationally where something
more semantic may be in order.

- Mjumbe[wu]