Re: External links in XHTML 1.1

From: Simon Jessey <simon@jessey.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:30:11 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>

> Since target="_blank" isn't valid, what is the recommended method for
> dealing with external links on a site authored in XHTML 1.1? Until now, I
> haven't found a need to differentiate between internal and external links,
> but I am now being asked to do so. Is going back to a previous version of
> HTML the only recourse?

<<Yes, unless you want to go the onclick="window.open(...)" way (you don't).

Ideally, you would convince the person asking you to do so that it
should be left to the user to control their windows -- it's not the
content's business which windows I want to view it in. You don't see PNG
images forcing your image viewer to open new windows either.>>

I completely agree. I have always avoided the practice on the basis that it
is bad for accessibility and the user isn't expecting it, unless the link
has some mechanism to warn the user. I refuse to write non-valid XHTML 1.1,
so of necessary I will return to an earlier HTML version. Ironically (in
view of recent, heated discussion), XHTML 2.0 will bring a form of TARGET
back.

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net